Sunday, June 6, 2010

Abortion: An Interesting Proposal

I have always been pro-life, with limitations. I believe that if you had access to the proper forms of birth control and did not use them then you should pay the consequences for having unprotected sex. I also believe that woman involved in a pregnancy by rape situation should be able to have the chance to get an abortion if they so choose. Or if a woman was mentally insane and her husband, guardian, whatever thought it best to abort that it should be okay. Because I know every life has its exceptions.

The other day though, I was talking with a young man I hung out with and we were discussing the opportunity to have sex. Sex in itself is no big deal if you have birth control and are both properly tested. However, he brought up the fact that if we were in the heat of the moment and neither of us had any form of birthcontrol to use/in use, if I would still have sex with him. I said that I would. Then he asks, "What if you got pregnant?". I was gonna reply "I would get an abortion" when I realized...I would be what I preach against. Them damn horny girls who cant take a few minutes out of their day to stick a condom in her purse or take a little pill. And I thought to myself, "wow, no one has ever made me think, what if it was me?"

And now that I think about I still stand by what I have said. I would not get an abortion, I would bring that baby into this world and give it the best life I could possibly give. I would explore every option, be it raising it myself, or giving it up for adoption, or giving legal guardianship to my wonderful, childless aunt. It also made me go to the store and buy condoms and also research prices on the plan B emergency contraceptive. I will be prepared when I have sex, and after sex I will be prepared for the worst, but positive of the best. Because I am not going to have an abortion, I am not going to have a life inside me turned into just another, depressing statistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

counter